"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break." --An ancient Chinese belief


Monday, February 04, 2008

China's Snow Storm


Not that I don't want anyone to not see Meghan's latest pictures (you can scroll down to see them), but I think it is important that I write about China's Snow Storms. Tonight MJ and I again saw news footage regarding the severe snow storms that have isolated towns and villages from the rest of China. It breaks our hearts to learn that many families are now going on more than 5 days without any electricity or even drinkable water. We heard that in one town, people are all gathering their drinking water from communal water wells. There are buisnesses that are closed unless they have the money to operate or purchase a generator. The price of food has tripled due to the inability to move produce across the nation. Not to mention, the many workers who were hoping to go home to their families to celebrate the Chinese New Year.


All of this has made us wonder how Meghan's social welfare institute is doing in the town of Yingtan, Jiangxi Province, China. We have searched for updates and I belong to a Yahoo group for her SWI, but have not heard anything. We are planning to call our agency and see if they know anything. But, there is a website, Half the Sky, who does have updates for many of the orphanages it supports. There is an update from the town of Nanchang and several SWI's in Jiangxi Province. I am hoping that we will be able to send something to Meghan's SWI. If not, I will then donate something to Half the Sky. This is a wonderful group and if anyone wants to do something to help the SWI's get supplies that are needed, please check out their website. Another charity that also does a lot of work with China's children is Love without Boundaries.

No comments: