"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break." --An ancient Chinese belief


Tuesday, December 18, 2007



Here it is, 7 days before Christmas, Meghan's first Christmas! MJ and I were talking this evening about how we feel for the other children in her orphanage who will not have the chance to experience the magic and joys of Christmas. It started to break our hearts thinking about it and made us realize just how lucky we are to be able to give Meghan the opportunity to experience and share in traditions that are special to us and our families.

Meghan is doing well, but we have had another rough week. She is starting to cut her 1st molar and it is not fun for any of us. And on top of that we are trying to switch her over to whole milk. When she was sick with her cold she rejected it. We put 3/4 formula in her bottles and mixed it with whole milk to try and wean her off the formula. That did not work, then she started taking the bottles and drank every ounce. After about 3 days of doing great, she started to have diaper issues. We had leaky diapers and I did not know what to do until it was suggested that I move her up a size. That helped for 1 night. Then we had another leaky diaper. I remembered that I bought those plastic diaper covers for our trip to China and so we started putting those on her. So far it has contained the leaks. For the last 3 days she had un-normal diapers (I am trying not to be gross, here). So, I am not sure if the diaper issue is due to her teething or the milk. So, yesterday I took the milk away and will give that a couple of days to see which is the issue. If it is the milk, she could be lactose intolerant which is common in Asian babies. I sure hope not, but we will deal with it, if that is the case. Meghan eats yogurt and other dairy based products without any problems or issues, so I am suspecting that it is the molars causing all this distress. Meghan has been a little moody because of this. She has not slept well the past 2 nights either. If this is what happens with the molar teeth cutting, then we are in for a rough couple of months because she has 3 more to go. I was told that these are the worst ones to come in......

Besides Meghan's teething, we have been busy getting ready for Christmas. We are pretty much finished with our shopping (I have just a couple of tiny items to purchase still). Meghan is still going to daycare 3 days a week and absolutely loves going there. She has a good time in her class. This week they are having a Christmas book exchange which I feel is very appropriate for her age level, plus she likes books. Meghan is crawling everywhere and pulling herself up on things. In fact, she even crawled up onto our coffee table using me as her stepping stone. She has quite a personality too. MJ calls her our little "DQ" because she has that whimper/whine down and will throw a fit when something does not work for her. Meghan's "DQ" tude has been coming out more and more now that she is starting to gain her independence. She is very strong-willed too. She is also really good at avoiding us, especially at meal time. When she is done, you better remove her food particles or they end up everywhere. She will start to hand us her food when she is done. That is her sign to us.

I can't tell you how much she has changed our lives. Everyday she becomes more and more of a joy to have in our family. It is amazing watching her learn and discover new things. Her latest thing is to try and swim in the bathtub. We put just enough water in there so that she can sit and play and lie back if she wants without feeling the fear of drowning. Plus it is easier for us. It is fun to watch her bathe and she knows when we start her bath. She will crawl to the bathroom and laugh the whole time she is crawling into the room. Then she will reach the tub and grab her toys and throw them in there. It is too cute. Meghan is also taking a strong interest in her kitties. She will chase them and today she was able to actually give Echo a hug. Before that she would try to kiss them when we would bring them close to her. Echo is also hanging around Meghan more. I think that is because Meghan is starting to play with her and she likes to play. I was able to capture them playing.

This week has been busy. We are getting the house ready for her Nana, Grampy, and Uncle. They are coming to spend the holiday with us. I can't wait for the weekend to arrive, but in the meantime, I am going to catch up on things. It is amazing how quickly time flies by, now.

No comments: