"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break." --An ancient Chinese belief


Thursday, July 12, 2007

Days 3 and 4 in Nanchang

I don't have much to say about Wednsday. I got sick right before breakfast. It was horrible. I had the chills and was very nauseated. We spent the morning hanging out in the room, not only because I was ill, but because our guide was taking two different groups at a time to go see the Teng Wang Pavillion. It was too humid to take the babies out, so she wanted to take us in groups so that someone could stay with the babies. Well, we sent my parents first, since I was sick, hoping I would feel better by the afternoon. The afternoon rolled in and I still felt bad, but thought I would go out and see how I felt. We did not go to the Pavillion because time was an issue and our guide wanted us to see the porcelain store. We took a stroll through a walking mall to the porcelain store. I was able to make it part of the way, but then got sick again when we reached the porcelain store. We had to get a cab to take me back to the hotel. The cab driver drove very well (people drive crazy here, it is not like we are used to). Meghan did really well on the outing, She enjoys riding in our friend's borrowed snugli. Especially when we face her out away from us. She is very curious about everything. Here are some pictures from Wednsday.The walking shopping mall streets. We had a lot of people staring at us while we were out walking.
Of course I had to get a picture of this. You all know how much I like snoopy!
Another picture of the walking mall. There were so many different smells and sights. I even saw an addidas store. I was tempted to shop in there, but my illness kept me away!
A little boy learning Chinese calligraphy. He had these sticks with a thick brush on the end of it. The brush was dipped in water and then he would make the Chinese characters, symbols, or words. It was really neat to see this!
Meghan playing in her "play-pen" area. She likes trying to pick up cherios, but she has not figured out that she can put them in her mouth. We are working on that one. She also likes to knock over her stacking cups. She is so funny!


Thursday was a little bit better of a day for me. MJ and I went to see the Pavillion and we left Meghan with my parents. I worried about her the whole time! Guess you could say that the mother instinct has kicked in! The Pavillion was really nice, but the walk there was miserable. It was very hot and humid. It made me feel ill and weak again. I was able to complete the tour, but it was a challenge. I had to sit down every time we reached a different floor in the Pavillion. It had 6 floors and on each one, there was a painting or relics reflecting historical events in Jiangxi province and China. They also had gift shops on every floor, except the sixth floor because that is where a small presentation took place. The presentation was areally neat. The costumes were so beautiful. After we saw the Pavillion we headed back to the hotel room and discovered that Meghan went down for a nap, so I took a nap too. Later that afternoon I started feeling like myself and was able to join the rest of our group at dinner, which was very good. I tried some of it and have not been sick yet! MJ thinks I had the flu. I think it was something I ate. Meghan had a really good day. She woke up cheery and babbled off and on throughout the day. We think she is cutting some teeth because she has been the drool queen and at times a little cranky. She also learned how to hold a bitter bisquit and gnaw on it. We were so proud of her. And she almost got a cheerio in her mouth! I also think she is going to rollover soon too. She can turn half-way, but then rolls back on her back. She is also starting to sit up better on her own. When we first got her, she could not sit up at all without support. It is amazing to watch them explore new things. She has changed so much in the last 4 days and we are looking foward to seeing more changes in her. Here are some pictures from today.


Teng Weng Pavillion. It was really cool inside and outside. I only wish I felt better so I could have enjoyed it more.

The gardens surrounding the Pavillion. There are some goldfish clustered in the picture by the bride and little gazebo type things.

A picture from the performance at the Pavillion. It was very beautiful. In this picture, they are playing different Chinese instruments.

Meghan helping mommy do some computer stuff. She was fascinated by the computer when I turned it on. And, no, this is not going to become a habit!!

Meghan gnawing on her bitter bisquit. I had to help her figure out how to use the bisquit, but she figured it out after I did. We think she liked it because MJ gave her another one at dinner and she ate it almost all gone.

Tomorrow we fly to Guangzhou and it will be Meghan's first airplane ride on her 11th month milestone. My next post will be from there. Until then................

No comments: